Friday, December 18, 2009

Jolly 'Ol St. Nick?

It's been a while since we've taken the kids to see Santa, somewhere around 3 years, so this year we decided that since Liza has been so excited about Santa and Christmas that we better take her. We arrived while Santa was on break for dinner and when we got in line we were about 4 families back. As I got to the front of the line the woman who takes the picture approached us and I informed her that I'd like to take my own photo. She told me I was only allowed two photos and no flash. What? No flash, so you WANT my picture to look like crap? Santa took the kids up on his chair, very grumpily asked them what they'd like for Christmas and I got the camera ready. I counted to three and made sure everyone was looking and then to my utter shock and amazement Santa averted his eyes. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He intentionally looked away. Santa was actually more worried about not getting paid for my picture than he was to see the magic in my children's eyes as they full filled a childhood dream. I was beyond disappointed by the treatment that we received from the Big Man Himself. I obviously was more crushed than the kids were and they didn't seem to notice which is good, don't get me wrong, but shouldn't Santa be jolly no matter what? My mother-in-law said that maybe the reason for his discontent was that it was getting late in the day and he was probably tired of having kids on his lap all day long. Uh-hem!! Isn't that in the job description? It shouldn't be a surprise when you show up for the job of Santa that children WILL be sitting on your lap.....ALL DAY LONG! Next year I'm finding a better, free, jolly Santa and not that jerk at the mall that is overpriced and over rated!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Angie said...

If you're up for a trip to AZ, the best Santa is there! My Dad! He LOVES being Santa and makes a great one. He looks and plays the part too! Sorry for the disappointment Shannon.

Anonymous said...

So cute. The kids are getting so big! I can't believe your twins are 1 already! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!! We were just thinking about you guys last night and talking about how we need to come and visit you and the Welch family.